Where can I purchase the Sentinel Impact Tracker device?
How do I activate and set up the Sentinel Impact Tracker?
What does scanning the QR code on the Sentinel do?
How do I turn the Sentinel on and off?
My device lost GPS signal or returns incorrect coordinates.
How do I replace the batteries in the Sentinel?
How do I add users to receive Sentinel impact notifications?
How do I assign different people to different Sentinel devices?
What do I do after I receive an impact notification?
What contributes to a false impact alert?
How do I adjust the sensitivity of the Sentinel?
What does a communication error mean?
I want to mount the Sentinel to a new asset, how can reassign the device in the app?
How do I mount the Sentinel?
Where is Sentinel typically installed?
What is the battery life of the Sentinel?
Can weather interfere with Sentinel's normal operation?
What types of resources are needed in my organization to support the Sentinel Impact Tracker?
- Where can I purchase the Sentinel Impact Tracker?
- You can buy the Sentinel Impact Tracker device through the TrafFix Devices web store by clicking here.
- How do I activate and set up the Sentinel Impact Tracker?
- Once the Sentinel subscription has been setup, Sentinel devices will be automatically activated after creation of a new asset within the Sentinel portal. Once you complete, the Sentinel will be ready for installation.
- What does scanning the QR code on the Sentinel do?
- The QR code will take you directly to the Sentinel portal in order to manage the device.
- How do I turn the Sentinel on and off?
- The physical Sentinel can be powered on and off using the on/off switch on the physical device. Unscrew the 4 screws on the top lid and turn the switch to the on position. To get a GPS location, the Sentinel must be powered on outdoors.
- My device lost GPS signal or returns incorrect coordinates.
- In order for the Sentinel to receive GPS coordinates, it must be powered on outside with a clear view of the sky. If GPS is not found and is already outside, press the GPS recalibrate button on the Sentinel portal. The GPS will be recalculated within 24 hours.
- How do I replace the batteries in the Sentinel?
- There is a snap type connector on the Sentinel board, simply pull out the connector and insert a new battery.
- How do I add users to receive Sentinel impact notifications?
- In order for users to receive notifications, click on the Customers tab, then users, then new user. You are able to type in the name, email and phone number.
- How do I assign different people to different Sentinel devices?
- Groups can be used to assign people to Sentinels. You can add a group by clicking the Customers tab, then Groups, then new Group. Once a group is created, you are able to assign an asset to a specific group.
- What do I do after I receive an impact notification?
- An impact alert means the Sentinel has reached its minimum threshold for impact. It is highly advisable to check the attenuator for any damage as it may have been impacted.
- Physically check the Sentinel device and the asset for damage.
- Take photos of the asset and use the new inspection feature on the portal to upload photos.
- Once the damaged attenuator is fixed, reset the inspection in order to change the map to a "green" state.
- What contributes to a false impact alert?
- False impacts can be caused by road vibrations, earthquakes, weather conditions, or improper mounting. When responding to an impact alert, note where the Sentinel is mounted as it may have become loose or was damaged. If the Sentinel is in a construction work zone, or in an area that is prone to heavy vibration, use the slider on the asset page to lower the sensitivity of the asset.
- How do I adjust the sensitivity of the Sentinel?
- Sentinel has Remote Sensitivity Tuning capabilities. This allows the systems administrator to adjust the products sensitivity to best fit a specific application. You can use the slider on the asset page to adjust the sensitivity of the Sentinel. The settings range from Low (least sensitive), to High (most sensitive). The medium sensitivity is the recommended setting to choose.
- What does a communication error mean?
- Communication error email is sent when the device has not communicated with the Sentinel portal within 24 hours, or the battery has reached a low threshold. Usually when there is a communication error, it can mean a few things:
- Failed communication with cellular tower
- Attenuator impacted and destroyed Sentinel
- Sentinel has lost power
- I want to mount the Sentinel to a new asset, how can reassign the device in the app?
- You can unassign the device from the asset, and assign it to a new asset by clicking the remove from asset button on the device, or remove from device button on the asset. Doing it this way will keep a track of assets history, photos, and any other entries you may need.
- How do I mount the Sentinel?
- The Sentinel device is analogous to commonly used Warning Lights which are mounted on signs and channelizing devices. The 2009 MUTCD Edition Chapter 6F Section 6F.83 states "when warning light are used, they shall be mounted … in a manner that, if hit by an errant vehicle, they will not be likely to penetrate the windshield". The same statement can be made with Sentinel which is securely mounted to the rear portion of the crash cushion and not likely to become dislodged and airborne. The reader is referred to the Sentinel Mounting Options) document for recommended procedures.
- Where is Sentinel typically installed?
- Sentinel can be installed on permanently fixed attenuators or crash cushions. When Sentinel is mounted on a temporary crash cushion, it is powered off during transport from one location to another. Once it has been relocated the unit is powered back on where GPS coordinates will be re-established. When Sentinel is installed in a construction work zone where barriers may be moved or realigned, the units sensitive can be adjusted to avoid false impact notifications. (See question on modifying sensitivity). Once the realignment has been completed, the recommended sensitivity setting can be adjusted. During this time you can also Recalibrate GPS to get the correct coordinates.
- What is the battery life of the Sentinel?
- Depending on weather and environmental changes, the battery could last between 3 – 5 years.
- Can weather interfere with Sentinel's normal operation?
- There have been no indications of weather issues on the Sentinel. The Sentinel is IP65 and IP67 compliant which should handle most weather conditions. If you have specific questions about extreme weather please contact us.
- What types of resources are needed in my organization to support the Sentinel Impact Tracker?
- Sentinel requires a systems administrator with minimal computer skills. When an Impact Notification is received, it is their responsibility to arrange a site inspection and determine next steps. Communication between the end user, systems administrator and the core team and subcontractor(s) is critical. Depending on the type of business, a person with basic traffic skills is required for product installation.