TrafFix Devices is on the forefront of Environmentally Friendly traffic control products and we strive to use Recycled Rubber and Plastics whenever possible.
In addition to our use of recyclable plastics, many of our products are made using recycled rubber. This recycling process starts and ends with TrafFix Devices. Our rubber recycling process uses vehicle tires that are no longer suitable for use due to wear or irreparable damage, such as punctures. Not only do our recycled rubber products keep over 12.5 million pounds of rubber waste out of our landfills each year, they also save our customers hundreds of dollars on up-front costs when purchasing traffic control products.
Waste tires are among the largest and most problematic sources of waste, due to the large volume produced, their durability, and the fact they contain a number of components that are environmentally hazardous. By some estimates, as many as 259 million tires are discarded annually. The same characteristics that make waste tires problematic also make them excellent sources of recycling.
Unfortunately, more than half of used tires are simply burned as fuel, which only adds to the environmental impact of these products. For example, in 2003 the United States used approximately 130 million scrap tires as fuel, up from 25.9 million in 1991. The EPA estimates that this "waste-to-energy" process uses about 45% of all tires produced.
|Recycled Rubber Products|
|Made from 100% recycled tires and can easily be recycled if the product becomes damaged|
|Tire Ring Base||The TrafFix Channelizer Drum can be ballasted with a 25lb. Tire Ring base which is cut directly from the side wall of a tractor trailer tire.|
|Rubber Bases*||All rubber bases manufactured by TrafFix Devices are made from 100% recycled tires.|
|*The Zephyr Sign Stand has an in-molded steel plate that can be removed and recycled.|
TrafFix Devices, Inc. has received funding under the Tire Incentive Program (TIP) administered by the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle), a branch of the California Environmental Protection Agency. The purpose of this grant program is to provide opportunities to divert waste tires from landfill disposal, prevent illegal tire dumping, and promote products made from recycled tires. The California Tire Incentive Program provides grants to eligible California businesses that use California recycled tires in their products and incentivizes their use in place of virgin rubber, plastic, or other materials across all industries.
- TrafFix Devices diverted 334,942 tires from entering the California waste stream with the completion of the 4th California, Tire Incentive Program (TIP4).
- TrafFix Devices diverted 416,360 tires from entering the California waste stream with the completion of the 5th California, Tire Incentive Program (TIP5).
- TrafFix Devices diverted 416,666 tires from entering the California waste stream from the direct sales of approved products with the completion of the 6th California, Tire Incentive Program (TIP6).
- TrafFix Devices diverted 416,666 tires from entering the California waste stream from the direct sales of approved products with the completion of the 7th California, Tire Incentive Program (TIP7).
- TrafFix Devices diverted 416,666 tires from entering the California waste stream from the direct sales of approved products with the completion of the 8th California, Tire Incentive Program (TIP8).
- TrafFix Devices diverted 416,666 tires from entering the California waste stream from the direct sales of approved products with the completion of the 9th California, Tire Incentive Program (TIP9).
The completion of the above California grants has allowed TrafFix Devices to keep 2,417,966 tires from going into the California waste stream.Learn More
At TrafFix Devices, we use only the highest grade polyethylene resins to manufacture our plastic products. This high quality craftsmanship helps extend the life of our products well beyond that of traditional PVC plastics. Our products are designed to "break-away" rather than "break-apart" upon impact; this helps keep plastic cones from being added to our landfills and saves you money in the process.
Many product specifications, like those of transportation ministries, require the use "virgin" plastics for extra strength and durability; while this is not ideal from an environmental standpoint, these products can easily be recycled and reused in the event they become damaged beyond repair.
Aluminum, Copper & Steel
TrafFix Devices manufacturers its metal products from "virgin" steel, aluminum, and copper. This is to ensure that the strength and durability of our products exceed the expectation of our customers, especially when it is designed to be impacted by a vehicle. However, these products are 100% recyclable if they become damaged beyond repair. This includes any product that contains metal components.
These products include: Scorpion Attenuators, Sign Stands, Type III Barricades, Water-Wall, Water-Wall Fence, Sentry, and SLED.