The TrafFix Devices "Big Sandy" is an Impact Attenuator Sand Barrel that is easy to move and provides external verification of the barrels correct weight of sand. This Impact Attenuator/Crash Cushion Sand Barrel has been tested and certified to meet the crash worthy requirements of NCHRP 350; Big Sandy Sand Barrels go above and beyond these requirement to provide the best in highway safety.
- Three barrels are used to create all of the weights used in current standard array geometrics (200, 400, 700, 1400, & 2100 lbs; 90, 180, 320, 640, & 960 kg) - see barrel configuration
- Combination barrel utilizes a pedestal base and 200, 400, 700 lbs (90, 180, 320 kg) top half barrel to obtain weights without using shelves or cone inserts - eliminates leaking sand
- Simply fill the sand to the molded-in fill line to obtain the correct weight. The molded-in fill line makes external verification of weights easy
- Reinforced lip prevents the barrels from deforming when filled and provides a quick and secure fit for reinforced lids
- All three Big Sandy size are easily lifted, moved, and emptied with the optional TrafFix Lifting Ring
- NCHRP 350 tested and accepted
- Big Sandy barrels stack tightly, allowing you to put more on a truck than other competing products
- Big Sandy's wide stance allows for more stable barrel without becoming top heavy or tipping
|Part #||Barrel Weight||Barrel Capacity|
|48247P||17 lb. ± 1 lb. (7.7 kg. ± 0.5 kg.)||Base Support|
|48247S||16 lb. ± 1 lb. (7.3 kb. ± 0.5 kg.)||200 - 700 lb. (90 - 320 kg.)|
|48140||23 lb. ± 1 lb. (10.4 kg. ± 0.5 kg.)||1,400 lb. (640 kg.)|
|48210||29 lb. ± 1 lb. (13.2 kg. ± 0.5 kg.)||2,100 lb. (960 kg.)|
Big Sandy Lifting Ring
The Big Sandy Lifting Ring is engineered to safely lift filled TrafFix "Big Sandy" Sand Barrels ONLY. The Lifting Ring is constructed of lightweight aluminum, and weighs 62lbs and quickly attaches to a Forklift, Truck Mounted Crane, or Knuckle Boom to easily move filled Big Sandy Barrels into place. The Lifting Ring is fully adjustable and is build to lift the Big Sandy 200, 400, & 700 lbs Combination Barrels and the 1,400 and 2,100 lb Barrels.
The Big Sandy Lifting Ring is a must have when working with filled Big Sandy Barrels.